Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginEvent Calendar  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting paint on the Valkyrie's trunk. (Read 4005 times)
06/20/11 at 02:16:29

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

I finally got around to putting some paint on my trunk.

click thumbnail for larger image in a new window.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/20/11 at 03:02:45

southernmule   Offline
Redwater, Texas

looks very nice, to me. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 16:40:25

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

Thanks Mr. Mule. But I didn't get right up on it in the photos. The cream turned out pretty good, but the red is lousy. I didn't properly sand between coats. And the surface was too rough on the top even before I put on the primer. I think this is doable, but I'm just going to have to take my time and do a better job of surface prep.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 16:09:38

Willie TKana   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Big Guy wrote on 06/20/11 at 16:40:25:
Thanks Mr. Mule. But I didn't get right up on it in the photos. The cream turned out pretty good, but the red is lousy. I didn't properly sand between coats. And the surface was too rough on the top even before I put on the primer. I think this is doable, but I'm just going to have to take my time and do a better job of surface prep.

= = = Did you know that Dewayne Jones, painted the bags on his Valkyrie, with cans of spray black paint. and they are slightly un-shiny.... but they look pretty good. Maybe, a few coats between sanding, of clear gloss, might do the trick on yourd.. What does the 0Man think??

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 02:24:02

oldman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

You do know that you can get automotive grade paint mixed to match your bike and put in a spray can ??

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 13:07:27

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

Yep.

That's what I'll eventually do. But I just had a sneaking feeling I'd mess it up the first try, and I rather do that with a $4.00 can of paint than a $40.00 one.
The thing that irks me about myself, is that I knew better. It's not like I didn't know I needed to do a better job of prepping the surface. I just got lazy. Well maybe not lazy, but more in a hurry. I wanted to get finished by Sunday night, so I rushed the job. I didn't go get Acetone or fine grit sandpaper when I realized I didn't have any. (I probably do, but couldn't find it in the junk pile that passes for my shop.) I did have fun messing with it though, and now that I've done it once, it doesn't seem so intimidating to try again. I'll give it at least one more go with cheap paint before I take a real shot with the good stuff.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 15:41:59

Willie TKana   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

...Guy you said ya wanted to get through by 'Sunday Night'' where didja ride, Sunday Night?  (being nosy) willis

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 15:47:07

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

No where. But I did want to ride it to work Monday. It wasn't a big deal and could have easily waited.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 06/22/11 at 16:34:00

Willie TKana   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

otay.....just wondering...............seeya

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 06/23/11 at 04:09:19

oldman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Quote:
that's what I'll eventually do. But I just had a sneaking feeling I'd mess it up the first try, and I rather do that with a $4.00 can of paint than a $40.00 one

I wasn't talking about Honda paint, I was talking about automotive grade acrylic enamal from Lonestar Wholesale on Texas Blvd and Seventh. They can match your color with a scanner, mix the paint and put it in a spray can, for just a few dollars more than the cheap paint. I've painted a couple of complete motorcycles this way..

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 06/23/11 at 13:32:08

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

oldman wrote on 06/23/11 at 04:09:19:
Quote:
that's what I'll eventually do. But I just had a sneaking feeling I'd mess it up the first try, and I rather do that with a $4.00 can of paint than a $40.00 one

I wasn't talking about Honda paint, I was talking about automotive grade acrylic enamal from Lonestar Wholesale on Texas Blvd and Seventh. They can match your color with a scanner, mix the paint and put it in a spray can, for just a few dollars more than the cheap paint. I've painted a couple of complete motorcycles this way..

That I didn't know. I had called and asked them about the smallest order of Pearl Red Sedona and they quoted my $154.00 for paint hardener and clear. I never actually asked about getting it in a spray can, or took the bike by to let them color match. I think I'll do that today. That sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 06/23/11 at 20:35:46

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

OK, I stopped by Lone Star and got a $17.00 can of spray paint that will match my bike. I also bought some 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and a scotch bright pad. I'll probably give it another try this weekend.
Again, thanks to oldman for clarifying the point and making sure I asked for the right stuff.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 06/27/11 at 13:42:48

Big Guy   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texarkana, TX

Got better paint and did a better job.

click thumbnails for larger image in a new window.
... ...

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 06/27/11 at 19:44:14

oldman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Looks good, nice job Cool..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print