Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLoginEvent Calendar  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hydrolock (Read 1969 times)
Reply #1 - 06/07/11 at 17:01:42

southernmule   Offline
Redwater, Texas

everything you said may be true, but you are referring to a Honda.
I believe the there are other brands that equal or even,better, the Honda.
I'll not mention the other brands.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/08/11 at 15:53:11

Willie TKana   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Big Guy wrote on 06/07/11 at 16:15:51:

Did you know that Dewayne experienced hydrolok, last summer while riding in extreme heat up in the Ozarks.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree, ride that bike...although there are things to check occasionally, on any motorcycle...its called up-keep/pre-maintainence and so 4th.           Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/08/11 at 17:29:17

southernmule   Offline
Redwater, Texas

Dewayne who?

Just so y'all will know, my Road Star used to do that, on occasion. I would simply open the Gas cap, and put it back on. Even while still going down the road.
I called it vaporlock. I'm probably wrong in calling it vaporlock.
I took care of the problem by removing the fuel pump and removing the check valve in the gas cap.  That may not work on a Valkyrie. But, on a R*, the entire fuel tank is above the carburetor. It will not work on a Yamaha Virago nor Stratoliner, they have a two piece fuel system.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/09/11 at 07:44:57

oldman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hydrolock on a Valk is a little different than vaporlock. Hydrolock on the Valk is when the gas flows thru one of the vent tubes or leaks past the float seat and fills up one of the cyclinders, if you pull a spark plug when it is hydrolocked it will actually shoot a large amount of raw gas out of that cyclinder. I've always heard it called hydraulic lockup when any liquid, gas or water, got into a cyclinder enough to keep it from compressing. Not sure that is what it was called, but Mule I know you've dealt with that on the older carbureted cars and cars with cracked heads and busted head gaskets..

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 06/09/11 at 10:06:16

southernmule   Offline
Redwater, Texas

Yea, I have been driving a GMC S15 Jimmy with that problem for near two years. If it sits more than a couple of days, I'll have to bump the starter till the "water" finally goes out of the exhaust.
I just called it water, or gas, whichever the case might be, on a piston.
I don't know all them fancy words that "non" redneck, edicated, people like to use.
I could make anything run right, but I could not explain it to satisfy them edicated folks. So, I normally did not talk about it. Therefore, most folks thought I knew nothin. Big words have always been a stumblin block for me. That is why I don't read books, listen to politicians or listen to preachers.

Yea, "vapor lock" is a whole different thang from fluid on top of a piston.

Sorrymule

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 06/09/11 at 13:12:26

Willie TKana   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

southernmule wrote on 06/08/11 at 17:29:17:
Dewayne who?

Just so y'all will know, my Road Star used to do that, on occasion. I would simply open the Gas cap, and put it back on. Even while still going down the road.
I called it vaporlock. I'm probably wrong in calling it vaporlock.
I took care of the problem by removing the fuel pump and removing the check valve in the gas cap. That may not work on a Valkyrie. But, on a R*, the entire fuel tank is above the carburetor. It will not work on a Yamaha Virago nor Stratoliner, they have a two piece fuel system.

=== DeWayne and Jan, friends of Travis. and it turns out, my Honey use to know them years ago in church...Dewayne said he was able to make it home, and his Valk,finally quite flooding. He thought the extremem heat had something to do with his Valk getting upset>  Cheesy

But the all time worst ''flooding'' by a Valk was mine back in October, at the Boo Rally,downtown Jefferson. I had to call my Sonninglaw to come with his trailer. and thanks to 0Man, having had the same experience with his Valk, overhauled a coupla of the Carbs...and its been running fine since.===

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print